- 500ml Freja Beef Bone Broth
- 30g butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large white onions, finely sliced
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 150ml white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small sprig of fresh thyme
- 1 garlic clove
- Splash of sherry or brandy
- 100g Gruyere cheese, grated
- Gently heat the butter and olive oil in a large pan and add the finely finely sliced onions and season with salt and pepper. Gently fry for 15 minutes,
stirring regularly, and then add the sugar and continue to cook until the onions are brown and caramelised.
- Add the wine and cook for a further 5 minutes, then add the Freja Beef Bone Broth, herbs and 150 ml of water.
- While the soup is simmering, heat up the grill and cut 4 rounds of baguette. Toast on either side, then rub one side with the garlic clove, before topping each toast with ¼ of the cheese. Return the toasts to the grill until the cheese is bubbling.
- Add a splash of sherry or brandy to the soup, remove the herbs and divide into two bowls, top with the cheese toasts and plenty of black pepper.