- 1 – 1 1/2 pounds firm white fish- Sea Bass or similar white fish( thicker cuts are best)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- one lime- zest and juice
- 2–3 tablespoons coconut or olive oil
- 1 onion- finely diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 230g carrot, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 4 garlic cloves- rough chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup Freja fish broth
- 350g tomatoes, diced ( preferably fresh)
- 1 can coconut milk
- Some sliced spring onions or coriander
- squeeze of lime
- Rinse and pat dry the fish and cut into 2 inch pieces. Place in a bowl. Add salt, zest from half the lime and 1 tablespoon lime juice. Massage lightly to coat all pieces well. Set aside.
- In a large, deep pan or casserole dish, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add onion and salt, and sauté 2-3 minutes. Turn heat down to medium, add carrot, pepper, garlic and jalapeno and cook 4-5 more minutes. Add tomato paste, spices and fish broth. Mix and bring to a simmer and add tomatoes. Cover and simmer gently on medium low for 5 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Add the coconut milk and taste and add more salt if necessary.
- Nestle the fish in the stew and simmer gently until it’s cooked through, about 4-6 minutes. Spoon the flavourful coconut milk over the fish and cook until the fish is cooked through.
- Taste and adjust salt and squeeze with lime.