- 900g stewing steak, diced
- 25g flour, plus extra for dusting
- 100g butter
- 2 onions roughly chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 medium carrots, roughly chopped
- 150g chestnut mushrooms
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 400ml good-quality ale
- 500ml Freja Beef Bone Broth
- 1 egg, beaten
- 300g ready-made rolled puff pastry
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/428°F/Gas Mark 7.
- Pour flour into a sealable bag and season well. Tip the meat into the bag, seal and shake the bag until all the meat is coated in the seasoned flour.
- Put half the butter in a pan, heat and sear the meat until golden brown.
- Add the vegetables, herbs, ale and Freja Beef Bone Broth. Bring to a simmer, then cover with a lid and gently simmer for 1 hr. Once it’s cooked, check the seasoning and add the remaining butter. Mix well and put it all into an ovenproof serving dish.
- Brush the edge of the dish with some of the beaten egg. Roll out the pastry (try and use as little flour as possible here to ensure it seals) and lay it over the dish. Pinch the pastry to the edges of the dish so that the pastry will stick to it (you can use a fork) and trim off any excess pastry from around the edge. Brush the pastry top well with the beaten egg and place on a baking tray.
- Bake in the oven for 20-30 mins until the pastry is golden brown on top.