- 1 pound dried yellow split peas
- 8 cups Freja Chicken Bone Broth
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 whole onion, peeled and studded with 4 cloves
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 meaty smoked ham hock
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- Fill a large pot with the Freja Chicken Bone Broth, add the peas, carrots, the chopped onion, the ham hock, and the onion studded with cloves, thyme, and ginger.
- Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 90 minutes (uncovered).
- Remove the studded onion and discard it. Remove the ham hock and get the meat off the bone. Chop the lean ham and return it to the soup pot.
- Continue to simmer the soup for an additional 30 minutes stirring it often. It will thicken up and if you prefer a thinner soup you can add additional chicken broth.
- Season to taste and serve with a nice crusty whole-grain bread and a dollop of brown mustard. Enjoy!