- A knob of butter or olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 150g spelt grain
- 500ml Freja Chicken Bone Broth, warmed
- 120g kale or cavolo nero
- Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Add the butter or oil to a large saucepan over a medium-low heat. Fry the onion, nice and slowly for about 15 minutes, or until softened.
- Stir the spelt into the softened onions and cook for about a minute, then stir in the warmed bone broth and season with salt and pepper – you don’t need to add the liquid gradually.
- Simmer on a low heat for around 25 minutes, or until the broth is absorbed and the spelt is tender. Stir regularly and top up with splashes of hot water if the liquid is absorbing too quickly.
- Meanwhile, roughly chop the greens, and finely slice the stalks. Add to a saucepan with 200ml of hot water and put the lid on. Cook until tender, then drain.
- Stir the greens through your spelt risotto, and serve up with a crack of black pepper, a drizzle of olive oil and a grating of Parmesan, if you like.